Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Game of Thrones Rant

Good morning everyone!

As I'm sure a lot of you have seen, there's been a lot of controversy over the latest episode of HBO's Game of Thrones.  I don't usually get involved in these rantings and ravings because quite honestly, this is a fictional world inhabited by fictional people and there are a lot more worrisome things happening in the real world that deserve louder rantings and ravings.

However, I guess I need to put my two-cents worth out there for anyone interested in reading it.  I've been a fan of GoT since it first aired on HBO four and a half seasons ago.  And I'm still a huge fan today, even more so as the plot continues to thicken and characters come and go.  One of the things I love about what HBO has done with this series is that they have given us fans an alternate storyline that I can easily see GRRM getting behind 100%.  And he does.  Just read his interviews or watch videos of him answering questions about the show.

With that said, there's been this big blow up about Sansa's scene at the end of the latest episode.  Yes it was disturbing and yes I felt completely sorry for her character.  But what did people expect when she was marrying the biggest sadistic psycho of the seven kingdoms?  He wasn't going to be all flowery and romantic with her just because she was Sansa Stark and his newly acquired wife.  Ramsay is a freak and will continue to torture, both mentally and physically, until someone finally kills him off.  I'm just hoping that after what happened to Sansa and Theon being forced to witness it, that those two will make an odd alliance and kill the bastard off before the season ends!

Anyway, I guess the real reason I'm ranting here is that I had a friend on Facebook that I've known for a long time post an article about this episode.  Then he went on to share that if anyone was still willing to watch the show after what some people called a horrific, brutal rape scene, he wanted to know so he could unfriend them.  It kind of pi$$ed me off when I read that.  I find it ludicrous that people will turn their backs on those that get enjoyment out of a FICTIONAL show.  It's not as if any of us watching GoT condone rape or murder or torture and the writers and actors do not condone rape or murder or torture.  They are just writing a scene or acting out a scene in a world that was created to show the harsh realities of that realm.  And again... it's FICTION!  Plus, rape, murder, torture, orgies, and all sorts of insanity have been a part of this series from the beginning, both in the books and in the show.  So why this particular 2-minute scene is getting such a vicious and ludicrous reaction is beyond me.

I say kudos to the writers, actors, and to the author for standing behind this scene 100% and kudos to those fans watching/reading this series and realizing that they're watching a fictional story play out on their screens and reading a fictional story spanning the printed page.  Leave the rantings and ravings for reality where there are plenty of things to rant and rave about.

On a lighter note, I leave you all with my all-time favorite GoT character, Tyrion Lannister.  He's played by Peter Dinklage, a superior actor and apparently an incredible singer as the following video shows:

No comments:

Post a Comment