Thursday, May 23, 2013

Booking Through Thursday #5


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly bookish meme about (mostly) books and reading.
 
This weeks' BTT is: Have your reading habits changed since you were a child? (I mean, I’m assuming you have less time to read now, but …) Did you devour and absorb books when you were 10 and only just lightly read them now? Did you re-read frequently as a child but now only read new books? How about types of books? Do you find yourself still attracted to the kinds of books you read when you were a kid?


When I was a child, I was a voracious reader.  I constantly had my nose in a book and loved escaping to new worlds.  I was a big Nancy Drew fan back then, so every month when a new Nancy Drew Case Files mystery came out, that was a definite purchase.  I also read a lot of Christopher Pike and R. L. Stine (Fear Street series mainly) and L. J. Smith.  I was into paranormal/supernatural and horror then.  That was between the ages of 9-13.

Then I discovered my step-mother's ridiculously huge collection of romance novels when I was 13-ish and began reading everything from contemporary to historical, Harlequin, Silhouette, didn't matter.  My real interest became Regency period romances though and I would scour bookshelves in the local used bookstore looking for new books in this time period to read.

Around age 16, I was introduced to the world of fantasy with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and became an instant fan.  I was friends with a family that was reading all the books, so I would borrow the books from them once they were done reading and would devour them within a couple of days.  That continued on until I graduated high school.

Then the reading stopped cold turkey.  Life happened, basically, and I didn't have much time for reading. Plus, I couldn't afford it.  And the local library still sucked, unfortunately.

Over the last few years, I've rediscovered my love of reading.  And although I don't have my nose buried in a book constantly these days, I do try to set aside time each week to read.  And my interests have grown even more to incorporate murder mysteries (both serious and cozy), historical fiction, dystopian thrillers, psychological suspense, zombies, erotica, and probably a ton more genres I'm forgetting at the moment as well as continuing to read within the genres I grew up enjoying.

Do you have an answer to share about any of the questions from above?
Leave me a link or comment below!
 

2 comments:

  1. My tastes definitely changed over time....but I still fondly recall the Nancy Drew addiction I had. A couple of years ago, I bought the first three ND books to reread. Haven't done it yet.

    Did see the movie, though.

    Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have the time to read more.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/05/booking-through-thursday_23.html

    ReplyDelete