Monday, December 10, 2012

Musing Mondays [3]

MUSING MONDAYS… is a weekly event where MizB of Should Be Reading will ask a book/reading-related question, and you answer with your own thoughts on the topic.

This week’s musing, courtesy of “iamciska.tumbler.com“, asks…

What was the last book you could not finish and why?

The last book I wasn't able to finish was Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver.  Here's what I ended up putting on Goodreads after I stopped reading halfway through the book:

I know there are lots of good reviews for this book. But, I feel bad that I just couldn't finish it. I think it has to do with the lack of good interactions between the characters (there just wasn't enough talk going on between Lena and Adam, or Lena and anyone for that matter) and lack of anything interesting really going on. The concept intrigued me and that's what kept me reading but I got halfway through the book and was bored. And I couldn't relate to any of the characters. They were just too flat for me. The writing was good and the descriptions were wonderful, but I need more than that for me to really get into a story.

I'm sure this book has been enjoyable for others and I would not want to discourage anyone who is a huge fan of dystopian from reading this. Please give it a try if you really are interested. It just wasn't for me.


Anyway, that's my reasoning for not finishing this book.  I wouldn't discourage others from reading it - like I said, it just wasn't for me.

Have you read Delirium?  And if so, what did you think about it?
 
Have you read something recently that you couldn't finish?
Leave me a link or comment below and have a wonderful Monday!
 

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've read mixed reviews for that book.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/12/musing-mondays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I truly did want to like it...it just didn't work out. Oh well, can't love every book out there. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think you were fair in your reasoning on Goodreads. You admitted the writing was good, but you just didn't connect with the characters. That, to me, is constructive criticism and I see nothing wrong with that. A book can't be all things to all people. I liked your answer to this musing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I really do try to be constructive with my criticism and my praise. I'm an author as well and I don't believe someone should bad-mouth the author if it's the story they didn't like. Too much of that going around these days and so I try to always make sure it's clear that I'm reviewing the book, not the author that wrote the book.

      I'm glad you could stop by! :)

      Delete
  3. You were fair. I have not read the book myself but a friend of mine did and she could not finish it for some of the same reasons you couldn't.

    http://icewarmth.com/musing-monday-121012/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ambrosia! Regardless of how a person feels about a book they've read, I believe they should always be fair in their praise or their criticism. So, I'm very glad that came through clearly! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. I have not read the book but that is a good reason to quit. Here is my post:
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JC! I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it if they really had their heart set on it. Who knows? It may actually be a book they really enjoy. I just wasn't for me, that's all. Glad you could stop by! :)

      Delete
  5. One of my DNF was because it was boring too. http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/musing-mondays-dec-10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's usually either character interaction (or lack thereof actually) or lack of anything interesting going on that causes me to put the book aside and not finish it. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete