Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Day of Musing

Do you ever wake up in the morning and just know that the day is going to be kind of blah?  That's me today.  It probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's cloudy, rainy, and cold outside.  I don't quite feel the creative juices flowing, no matter how much caffeine I consume and thinking I do.  It probably also has to do with the fact that my poor Muse needs a break, too.

So, instead of working on "Starward" or "The Legend of Goat Head Lodge", I probably will turn my attention to stories that will never get published.  Once I get going on one of those, I can usually write for awhile and be happy in the knowledge that the story doesn't have to be fantastic or gripping or enthralling because it's only being written for me.  Plus, I can alleviate some of my guilt for not working on the stories that will be published because, hey, I'm still creating something.  Right?  Well, that's what I tell myself anyway and it works. :)

I don't know about other authors, but I have about fifty of these non-publishable stories lurking in my Word docs.  About five or ten of them get any kind of real attention at any given time.  But that's okay.  I've found that I pull from some of these non-publishables to incorporate ideas or interactions into the publishables, so in a round-about way, they kind of, sort of do get published.  Funny, I hadn't quite thought about that until now...sweet!

As for which non-publishable I'll work on...who knows?  I've been in a kick lately writing about vampires (something I've never done but I absolutely love reading about vampires).  I blame my recent crush on The Watchers series by Veronica Wolff and The Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine for my sudden interest to write something vampirish.  I loved the concept of The Watchers and the first book in that series, Isle of Night, was freakin' awesome!!  I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the second book, Vampire Kiss, to come out...grrr.  And The Morganville Vampires just keeps getting more and more engrossing for me.  I've read the first three books and can't wait to read book four, Feast of Fools.  So, yeah, I'm on a vampire kick.  But that's a good thing since we're so close to Halloween, my favorite non-holiday of the year!

So, anyway, I may work on that non-publishable or I may turn my attention to something different.  I don't know, but I am determined that I write something today...other than this blog, of course!  So, it's off to the keyboard with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment